Position Available–GASP Staff Attorney
Founded in 1969, the Group Against Smog and Pollution, Inc. (“GASP”), is non-profit membership organization working to improve air quality to ensure human, environmental, and economic health. GASP’s overall focus is on air quality in Southwestern Pennsylvania. To achieve our environmental goals, GASP advocates, educates, serves as an environmental watchdog, mobilizes action, and litigates when necessary.
GASP is seeking a full-time Staff Attorney. GASP’s legal program encompasses the following activities: litigation; regulatory commenting; investigation; limited legislative lobbying; contract legal work; oversight of industrial compliance; oversight of environmental permitting; oversight of environmental rulemaking; and assisting citizens to address air quality issues within their communities.
- Working in conjunction with GASP’s Legal Director in litigation before administrative agencies and state and federal courts. Work includes coordinating efforts with partner organizations, assisting retained counsel with litigation tasks when needed, and acting as co-counsel when needed.
- Identifying and investigating situations that may require legal intervention on the administrative or judicial level. Investigating citizen complaints and working to address those complaints.
- Giving testimony at public hearings, submitting comments on regulatory proposals, and challenging permits and regulatory decisions that pose a threat to environmental or human health.
- Supervising law students in a legal intern program.
- In conjunction with Policy and Educational staff, helping to educate the general public and government officials on a variety of air quality issues.
- Interacting with media regarding aspects of GASP’s legal work.
- Participating in Allegheny County Health Department air quality subcommittee meetings where appropriate.
Applicants must be members of the Pennsylvania Bar or immediately eligible for membership. Preferred candidates will have experience with, or education in, administrative law, nonprofit law, and environmental law. Applicants with knowledge of the Clean Air Act are especially sought. Candidates must also have excellent writing and researching skills, be comfortable with public speaking, and display a commitment to environmental protection.
Salary will range between $35,000 and $40,000, depending on experience, an include a retirement savings plan.
How to Apply
Send a cover letter, resume, and contact information for three previous employers or professional references to:
Group Against Smog and Pollution, Inc.
1133 S. Braddock Ave., Suite 1A
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania 15218
A review of applications will begin immediately and applications will be accepted until the position is filled.