Hotline, Summer 2000
Here is a sampling of permits and applications published between July 29 and August 5 by the Allegheny County Health Department (ACHD) and the Pennsylvania Department of Environmental Protection (DEP). ACHD governs air quality in Allegheny County; DEP governs all soil, water and land use in Pennsylvania as well as air quality outside Allegheny County. For more information, call the Allegheny County Health Department at 412-687-2243 or visit the DEP website.
- ACHD – Permits – Intent to Issue
(tpy = tons per year)
- Geo-Centers, 48th Street, Lawrenceville. Solid waste incinerator installed on temporary basis. During 90-day test, permitted to emit: 0.1 tons of particulate, 0.4 tons of sulfur oxides, 2.0 tons of nitrogen oxides, 0.2 tons of carbon monoxide, 0.02 tons of lead, 0.2 tons of hydrochloric acid, 0.0002 tons of cadmium and 0.001 tons of mercury.
- Mon River Transloading Inc, Forward Twp. Coal-handling and railcar dumper equipment. Permit to increase particulate emissions 6.7 tpy.
- Pittsburgh Thermal L.P., Northside, City of Pittsburgh. Gas-fired hot water boiler, two cooling towers. Permit to increase emissions in tons per year (tpy): 4.1 tpy of particulate, 3.2 tpy of sulfur oxides, 4.7 tpy nitrous oxides (NOX), 17.0 tpy carbon monoxide, .60 tpy of volatile organic compounds.
- IDL Inc, Plum Borough. 5-station printing press with curing ovens. To emit up to: 11.0 tons per year of volatile organic compounds and 4.5 tpy of hazardous air pollutants.
- Medrad, Indiana Twp. Sterilizer. Permit to increase ethylene oxide emissions 4.6 tpy.
- Matthews International Bronze Division, West Liberty Ave. Install Torit Dust Collector to control particulate emissions. Permit allows increase of particulate emissions by 1.5 tpy.
- Allegheny Ludlum, Brackenridge. Replace continuous torch cutters, decrease particulate emissions, increase nitrogen oxides by 1.0 tpy.
DEP – Permits – Intent to Issue
- Angelo Iafrate Construction Co, Mt. Pleasant Borough, Westmoreland County. Crusher and asphalt plant at the Carpenter Town Asphalt Plant.
- Mitsui/ZCA Zinc Powders Co, Monaca, Beaver County. High Purity Zinc Powder Plant at ZCA Monaca.
- Nova Chemicals Inc., Shippingport Borough, Beaver County. D2 Liquid Lube Dylite Process at Beaver Valley Plant.
- Lane Construction Corp., Donora, Washington County. Drum-Mix Asphalt Plant.
- Nova Metals L.P, Ambridge, Beaver County. Metals Reprocessing at Ambridge Regional Center.
- Maverick Tube, Beaver Falls, Beaver County. Boiler and Metal Heat Furnaces.
- Allegheny Ludlum Steel, Vandergrift, Westmoreland County. Sendzimer Cold Rolling Mill at Vandergrift Plant.
- McKnight Cylinder Co., South Huntingdon, Westmoreland County. Cylinder Reconditioner.
- William H. Martin Inc. – Arden Landfill, subsidiary of Waste Management Inc., Chartiers Twp., Washington County. Municipal solid waste landfill.
- Allegheny Energy Supply Co., Monongahela Twp., Greene County. Hatfield Ferry Power Station.
- Allegheny Ludlum Corp., Vandergrift, Westmoreland County. Specialty steel products finishing mill.
- Pittsburgh Coatings, Ambridge, Beaver County. Surface coating operation at Ambridge Plant.
- Wheeling Pittsburgh Steel Corp., Allenport, Washington County. Pickle Line Replacement Scrubber at Allenport Plant.
- DEP – Permits to Discharge into State Waters
- Timken Latrobe Steel, Latrobe, Westmoreland County. Discharge from Latrobe steel mill facility into Sulfur Run and Loyalhanna Creek.
- Aleppo Township Authority. Discharge into unnamed tributary of Ohio River.
- Zigmund Barton, Hempfield Twp., Westmoreland County. Discharge into unnamed tributary of Little Sewickley Creek.
- Green Hills Development Corp., Hempfield Twp., Westmoreland County. Discharge into unnamed tributary of Little Sewickley Creek.
- Loretta Schermock, Greene Twp., Beaver County. Discharge into Smiths Run.
- Kim and Dianne Miller, Salem Twp., Westmoreland County. Discharge into unnamed tributary of Whitethorn Creek.
- Plum Borough Municipal Authority, Allegheny County. Construction of a parallel interceptor to serve Plum Creek Watershed.
- A-C Valley Dev. Corp, Allegheny Twp., Butler County. Into Little Scrubgrass Creek.
- Ingersoll-Dresser Pump Co., South Fayette Twp., Allegheny County. Into Chartiers Creek.
- Harold C. Lepro, Hempfield Twp., Westmoreland County. Into unnamed tributary of Jacks Run.
- Zokaites Contracting, Inc., Franklin Park Borough, Allegheny County. Into Fish Run.
- PAM-LIN Enterprises, Plum Borough, Allegheny County. Into Plum Creek.
- Port Authority of Allegheny County, City of Pittsburgh, Allegheny County. Into Saw Mill Run.
- John E. Howard, Robinson Twp., Allegheny County. Into Campbells Run.
- Zaremba Land Development Inc., Ross Twp., Allegheny County. Into Girty’s Run.
- Plum Borough Municipal Auth., Plum Borough, Allegheny County. Into Plum Creek.
- DiCicco Development LLC., Findlay Twp., Allegheny County. Into unnamed tributary of Montour Run.
- Masonic Homes of the Grand Lodge of PA, Aleppo Twp., Allegheny County. Into unnamed tributary of Ohio River.
- RIDC, Findlay Twp., Allegheny County. Into McClarens Run.
- Charles W. Warden, Indiana Twp., Allegheny County. Into unnamed tributary of Little Pine Creek.
- F.C.Moon Partners LLC, Moon Twp., Allegheny County. Into Montour Run.
- Pine-Richland School District, Richland Twp., Allegheny County. Into Crouse Creek.
- Sippel Development Company, Franklin Park Borough, Allegheny County. Into Rippling Run.
- Etna Borough, Etna, Allegheny County. Into Pine Creek.
- Team Rahal of Warrendale Inc., Marshal Twp., Allegheny County. Into Brush Creek.
- Dept of General Services, City of Pittsburgh, Allegheny County. Into Monongahela River.
- Williamson & Jefferson, Upper St. Clair Twp., Allegheny County. Into Painters Run.
- Allegheny County Airport Authority, Moon & Findlay Twp., Allegheny County. Into McClarens Run and Enlow Run.
- Gary Birmingham Tri-Venture Ltd., Chippewa Twp., Beaver County. Into Bradys Run Basin.
- Blackhawk School District, Chippewa Twp., Beaver County. Into unnamed tributary North Fork Bradys Run.
- Beaver Falls School District, Big Beaver Borough, Beaver County. Into unnamed tributary Wallace Run.
- Hopewell School District, Hopewell Twp., Beaver County. Into unnamed tributary Trampmill Run.
- Raymond Jr. and John Hall, Center Twp, Beaver County. Into unnamed tributary Shafer Run.
- PA PennDot, Aliquippa, Beaver County. Into Ohio River.
- Fife Moving & Storage, Chartiers Twp, Washington County. Into Chartiers Creek.
- Canon McMillan School District, North Strabane Twp, Washington County. Into Chartiers Creek.
- William Graziani, Cecil Twp., Washington County. Into Chartiers Creek.
- Peters Township, Peters Twp., Washington County. Into Peters Creek.
- Ambridge Borough Sewage Treatment Plant, Ambridge, Beaver County. Discharge to Ohio River.
- Wen-Dell Mobile Home Park Sewage Treatment Plant, East Huntingdon Twp, Westmoreland County. Discharge to Buffalo Run.
- COSTCO Wholesale, Cranberry Twp., Butler County. Into unnamed tributary of Brush Creek.
Encroachments (stream diversions, filling wetlands, etc)
- DEP – Applications
- Hardy Enterprises, Inc., To culvert unnamed tributary to Little Chartiers Creek for constructing Old Oak Commons development at Route 19 Peters Twp, Washington County.
- Township of O’Hara, Allegheny County. Relocate 240 feet of Seitz Run to original alignment on east side of Lower Street.
- Kevin W. Smith, Peters Twp, Washington County. Reline & extend existing culvert of unnamed tributary to Brush Run
- First Nuclear Energy Operating Company. Repair metal arch pipe, construct settling pond 575 feet upstream on Peggs Run, at Shippingport, Beaver County.
- Canonsburg-Houston Joint Authority. Stream bank stabilization for construction of Chartiers Creek Interceptor Sewer, North Strabane Twp & Canonsburg, Washington County.
- BAR Development Company. 179 foot stream enclosure and 328 ft stream realignment of unnamed tributary of Turtle Creek at proposed Watersedge Court of proposed Lake Ridge Estates, Cline Hollow Rd, Murrysville, Westmoreland County.
- DEP – Plan Approvals
(“bituminous surface/augur mine” has been abbreviated here as “strip mine”)
- Amerikohl Mining Inc., Commence a strip mine and refuse reprocessing mine in Rayne and Washington Twps., Ernest Borough, Indiana County, affecting 90.0 acres, receiving stream McKee Run.
- Mears Enterprises Inc., Continued restoration of strip mine in Grant Twp., Indiana County, affecting 260.0 acres, receiving stream unnamed tributaries of Little Mahoning Creek.
- Reichard Contracting Inc., Continue strip mine in Fallowfield Twp., Washington County affecting 25.7 acres, receiving streams unnamed tributary to Pigeon Creek to Monongahela River.
- Trent Coal, Inc. Change land use at main portal site from ‘forestland’ to ‘industrial, commercial and wildlife habitat’ at Rice No. 1/Arrow No. 3 Mines in Portage Twp., Cambria County.
- Consolidation Coal Co., Renew permit for Blacksville No. II, Hughes Hollow Slurry Pond, Wayne Twp, Greene County.
- Eighty Four Mining Co., Add 20 acres to surface site and discharge into tributary of Redd Run at Mine No. 84, Amwell Twp., Washington County.
- Beaver Valley Aggregates Inc. Allow mining of blast and steel slag in Hopewell Twp., Beaver County affecting 36 acres, receiving stream: Ohio River.
- Cyprus Emerald Resources Corp. Allow greater than 50% extraction under the Kent Farm at the Emerald Mine, Franklin Twp, Greene County.
- TJS Mining Inc. Add 298.6 underground acres and 220.8 acres to subsidence control plan boundary for Darmac #3 Mine in Plumcreek Twp, Armstrong County.
- Kraynack Coal Company. Commence a strip mine in Green Twp, Indiana County, affecting 97.6 acres, receiving stream: unnamed tributaries to Dixon Run.
- Luzerne Coal Corp. Reclamation of strip mine in Luzerne Twp., Fayette County affecting 359.6 acres, receiving streams: Minnow Run to Monongahela River.
- Seven Sisters Mining Co. Change land use from ‘forestland’ to ‘pastureland’ at strip in South Bend Twp., Armstrong County, affecting 20.9 acres, receiving streams: unnamed tributary to Fagley Run.
- Beazer East Inc. Continued operation of strip mine with a mine drainage facility in Morgan Twp, Greene County, receiving streams: unnamed tributaries of South Fork of Ten Mile Creek, South Fork of Ten Mile Creek to Ten Mile Creek.
- Allegheny River Land Company. Continued treatment of mine drainage discharges in Cadogan Twp, Armstrong County, receiving streams: Bruner Run to Allegheny River.
- Amerikohl Mining Inc., Change land use to pastureland at a strip mine in Saltlick Twp, Fayette County, affecting 67 acres, receiving streams: unnamed tributary to Little Champion Creek, Little Champion Creek, Champion Creek, Youghiogeny River.
compiled by Kate St. John, GASP Board Member